Frequently Asked Questions
We have collected a list of frequently asked questions on this page. Please check this list to see if your question has already been answered here.
For questions not covered here please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is www.energypedia.info?
Energypedia is a wiki-based platform for collaborative knowledge exchange on renewable energy and energy access issues in the context of development cooperation.
It is operated by the nonprofit company energypedia UG (haftungsbeschränkt). On energypedia.info any registered user can easily create, modify and share content. The platform currently includes 4,580 free articles, contributed by the growing community of than 9,347 registered users made up of energy practitioners, experts, academics and other interested stakeholders.
Energypedia.info is free for everyone.
► Link to a video
What is a wiki?
A wiki is a website that enables its users to contribute and modify content via their web browser. Wikis are often used for collaborative working and knowledge management. The most famous example is the online encyclopedia Wikipedia. Ward Cunningham, the developer of the first wiki software, WikiWikiWeb, originally described it as "the simplest online database that could possibly work". The word "wiki" comes from Hawaiian language and means "fast".
What does energypedia do?
Energypedia's action scope is defined in its organizational charter. In order to achieve our vision and comply with our charter, energypedia's primary task is to operate and fund the platform www.energypedia.info. We offer our user support and all posted information for free. We develop the underlying software to implement easy to use knowledge sharing tools. We also continuously improve the content quality (for example, by revising articles with our *****) on energypeida.info.
Besides these efforts, energypedia is promoting free knowledge exchange and the need for sustainable energy access for all in publications and on events.
Where is energypedia located?
Energypedia is located in Eschborn, Germany.
►Click here for our full contact details and directions.
Does energypedia have it's own projects in developing countries?
As a knowledge broker, energypedia does not have projects running in developing countries. Nonetheless, we do work together with experts and institutions worldwide to share knowledge on sustainable energy and energy access issues. Have a look at a list of our funders and partners for more information on current projects with other organizations.
Who supports energypedia?
Energypedia's main supporters are our users who contribute and maintain the platform's content. Without enthusiastic and engaged users, energypedia would not exist! Besides our voluntary supporters, energypedia has received in kind and financial support from different organizations which are listed here. We do not accept any funds from companies focusing primarily on non-renewable energy generation like oil or nuclear energy production.
If you are intersted in placing advertisement on energypedia (clearly visible different than the content pages; no articles with advertisement), please refer to Advertisements on energypedia. All funds are used to promote energypedia and in line with our mission and vision!
How can I support energypedia?
There are many ways how you can support energypedia's vision of free knowledge exchange and universal energy access for all:
- Share Your Knowledge:
Your knowledge about renewable energies and your experience in implementing projects in the field will help to quicker spread renewable energy solutions to the energy poor.
- Spread the Word:
Tell your friends, colleagues or fellow students about energypedia and encourage them to share their experiences and knowledge!
Energypedia is a fully independent non-governmental organization supported by contributions from individuals, foundations and companies. In order to maintain energypedia's independence and neutrality, we also need funds from people like you!
For more information and account details, please visit our donation page.
What happens with my donation?
Energypedia wants to be an independent, high quality information source on renewable energy and energy efficiency in developing countries. With your donation you help us to
- Inform about the importance of clean energy access for human development and the existence of energypedia as a free knowledge sharing platform available to all people. Some 1.4 billion people worldwide living without access to electricity are dramatically hampered in their development. About 2.7 billion are cooking or heating with firewood or other biomass, with negative consequences for their health and the environment. This is an intolerable situation, we have to make people aware of.
- Support all energypedia users in their efforts to share their knowledge on energypedia.info. We are there for our users to help them sharing their knowledge in the most efficient way. If you have any questions, simply contact us!
- Assure the quality of energypedia's content. Even though we encourage our users to correct mistakes and update information, a professional guidance is necessary to keep our set standards. As a result, we implement quality assurance measurements like maintenance boxes. Additionally, the ***** continuously looks out for little flaws and can be directly contacted in case of any questions.
- Implement knowledge sharing projects for free especially involving people from developing countries. For example, we are currently developing a publication database with students from Mozambique in close collaboration with one of our cooperation partners.
- Promote the distribution of renewable energies through knowledge sharing, especially targeting remote regions without current access to modern energy sources. In the future we would like to expand our project work according to the wide range of possible activities defined in energypedia's charter.
- Run the platform in terms of hosting, software updates, backups, and last but not least to run our office.
How can I donate?
Currently, you have two options:
- Directly transfer money to energypedia's account
- Donate online via Paypal.
More donation options will follow soon. For more information and account details, please visit our donation page.
Do I get a receipt for my donation?
Energypedia can only issue receipts for German residents. For a donation receipt please send an email with your address to email@example.com. Usually we send annual receipts in January for the past year.
How can I register for energypedia?
To register at energypedia, please click here.
What if I forget my password?
Simply click on the link below and type your user name into the field , "Username" . Click on the option "E-mail new password" .
►Click here to request a new password
What if I forget my username?
In case you forgot your username, kindly send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The energypedida team will then email you the username.
How can I change my profile description?
To change your profile information, please log into energypedia. Then, go to the top of the page and hover over your name. A dropdown menu will appear and click on "My Profile" option in the menu. You will then be directed to your profile page. Click on edit profile to make the necessary changes and then save the page.
►Link to Video tutorial
►Link to the help article
How can I create new article?
For instructions on creating a new article, click on the following link:
►Link to the video tutorial
►Link to the help article
Can I edit articles published by other users?
Yes of course! The idea behind a wiki is that the users can work together . In turn others are allowed to edit your articles, too.
How can I edit articles?
Creating and editing articles is fairly simple - just click on the "Edit" button on the top right corner of each article page. The article will then open in edit mode, make the necessary changes and save the page.
►Link to video tutorial
►Link to Help article
How can I insert pictures/files in my article?
Before inserting a picture or a file, they have to be uploaded on energypedia. For instructions on uploading a file/pictures, click on the following links:
► Link to video tutorial on uploading files or images
►Help article on uploading files or images
For instructions on inserting the files or images in your article, click on the links below:
►Link to video tutotial on inserting files or images
►Help article on inserting files or images
How can I add references in my article?
For instructions on adding references in the article, please click on the following links:
►Link to the video tutorial
►Link to the help article
How can I categorise my articles?
For instructions on categorising your article please see below: Link to the Help Article
How can I reference/cite energypedia for external usage?
For guidance on how to reference/cite energypedia in external literature, please check HERE